- Triple Buzzer Beater – http://t.co/OfZ1lU3DCU via http://t.co/63vK4tEbRe 2014-02-06
- Football gods were looking down on NFL. #sb48 in snow would have been awesome though! Winter Storm hits NYC area – http://t.co/V0t7SSOWhM 2014-02-03
- Why not me? #EsuranceSave30 2014-02-02
- RT @AZSuperBowl: You have exactly one quarter of football left to retweet us for your chance to win an iPad Air! Every RT is an entry. http… 2014-02-02
- At least we all got a free song to download from @U2 #sb48 2014-02-02
- RT @davepell: Denver is eighteen safeties away from getting back into this. 2014-02-02
- RT @NotBillWalton: Sadly for Broncos fans, Tim Tebow is having a better Super Bowl Sunday than Peyton Manning. 2014-02-02
- RT @simplebits: Dylan selling cars and Phillip Seymour Hoffman dead. C’mon, 2014. 2014-02-02
- Wow, so sad. RT @DavidMuir Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead in NYC home. Won Best Actor Oscar for Capote. So many indelible performances. in reply to DavidMuir 2014-02-02
- Look who's going to be the #1 team in the country today. @cuse Arizona loses to Cal on last second shot – http://t.co/P0TvVMOdtH 2014-02-02
- RT @ESPNCBB: In case you were wondering, Syracuse travels to Duke on Feb 22nd. #DUKEvsCUSE 2014-02-01
- This Week's Tweets – http://t.co/Yee1l3WYf9 #Social #Twitter #WeeklyTweets via http://t.co/63vK4tEbRe 2014-01-31
In a game last night between Virginia Military Institute and Gardner-Webb College, there were three buzzer beaters that extended the game into an extra Overtime session, and a fourth shot by Gardner-Webb with about 30 seconds to go that extended the game from a 2nd OT to a 3rd OT. Goes to show that you don’t need to be in a ‘major’ conference to watch some fantastic college hoops! A pretty impressive feat of clutch shooting by the VMI team!
- And the jokes came rolling in. Embattled Toronto mayor Rob Ford, defends Justin Bieber via @YahooNewsDigest http://t.co/mNg3ATuXZg 2014-01-30
- Just a reminder of how the Legend rolls – http://t.co/2oBKoRetE9 rt @billsimmons 2014-01-24
- This Week's Tweets – http://t.co/JfPzlZ7a1q #Social #Twitter #WeeklyTweets via http://t.co/63vK4tEbRe 2014-01-24
- Baby, you'r so money and you don't even know it. An oral history of one of the great movies of our time, Swingers – http://t.co/WfzqGKs9oz 2014-01-22
- Awesome poster of Famous Movie Quotes as data Charts – http://t.co/WRGTKntrjy 2014-01-20
- What you need to know about the court decision that just struck down net neutrality — Tech News and Analysis http://t.co/VMiDqfAAvu 2014-01-19
- @hbogo completely down. #nothappy 2014-01-17
- @dickiev with a nice little write up of the Orange. http://t.co/LSCFQ3a8jW 2014-01-07
- House of Cards Season 2 Trailer. Looking good, but with a touch of predictability. Hope I'm wrong. http://t.co/y6JW5DIkkq 2014-01-06
- NHL Player Evades 2 Defenders Like A Hockey Magician For Brilliant Goal. Love the announcer reaction 'Enough said' http://t.co/iasnQEUEkI 2014-01-06
- RT @helloericho: Oh, Holmdel. The Birthplace of the Cellphone Is Being Turned Into a Mall http://t.co/81dLFH8ss7 2014-01-04
- RT @nytimes: New York State Is Set to Loosen Marijuana Laws http://t.co/zA5bUmxyJA 2014-01-04
- A surprisingly interesting oral history of Sir Mix-a-Lot's Baby Got Back http://t.co/d4JQTZCxCa 2014-01-04
- McSorley's – http://t.co/baIFIliUbi #Ale #EastVillage #Food #Mcsorleys #Nyc via http://t.co/63vK4tEbRe 2014-01-04
- RT @NunesMagician: Dear ACC, you know how FSU and Clemson fans are during football season? Now it's our season. Your hatches? Batten them t… 2014-01-03
- Does not bode well for Chiefs @Deadspin: KC dyes fountain red 4 Chiefs, fountain freezes, looks like bloodbath: http://t.co/WgEvcz82vb” in reply to Deadspin 2014-01-03
An article from yesterday’s NY Times titled Comfort From the Cold Winds about the one and only McSorley’s brought a little tear to my eye. It also reminded me that I need to get back there soon. It has been way way too long, my old Irish friend.
Beyond the greatness of the bar, it’s beer, and it’s unrivaled atmosphere, McSorley’s great little secret has always been it’s food. After several lights or darks with your oldest drinking buddies (or the newest ones you just met after being thrust down at one of those scarred wooden tables), bellying up for the McSorley’s burger & steak fries would make the same meal at Five Guys or Smashburger seem downright partisan. I’m not saying it’s the greatest meal you will ever have, but paired with the atmosphere, it is tough to beat.
Whenever I knew there was a “McSorley’s Virgin” in the mix, I would always push the Mustard and Saltines hard. The presentation of the Mustard was always something to behold. It was just slopped into a extra beer mug, filled halfway, with a flat wooden spoon and crusted mustard on the lip of the mug. Hardly sanitary but it just fits so well sitting there in the middle of the ancient, spilled upon wooden table. Having the mustard for the first time was a true initiation into the wonder and old time history of the bar, as the article so eloquently puts it:
Go easy with that tub of yellow mustard. It’s full of Colman’s, and a heaping spoonful of this British staple can unleash a saloon brawl on your tongue.
One last McSorley’s memory to share: I was there many moons ago with several friends from my undergraduate days at Syracuse. I think that visit to McSorley’s was part of a bachelor party. As can only be done at McSorley’s, we ended up sharing a table with some intimidating looking, leather clad bikers. Several fists full of lights and darks later, one friend of mine was going toe to toe in a drinking contest with the biker dude introduced to us as “Porkchop”. It was just a beautiful scene.
- The Day Google Had to 'Start Over' on Android – Fred Vogelstein – The Atlantic http://t.co/buzbV5X5I5 via @instapaper 2013-12-19
- The blog is dead, long live the blog » Nieman Journalism Lab http://t.co/Td3Riq5wzz via @instapaper 2013-12-19
- Check out Mohave Typefaces, a new and free display typefaces by @AbsolutFoundry http://t.co/JYdwe0EjQU 2013-12-18
- @bthdonohue awesome! Thanks for the quick responses! in reply to bthdonohue 2013-12-17
- @bthdonohue http://t.co/kMizFtkY9m in reply to bthdonohue 2013-12-16
- @bthdonohue my iOS @instapaper app is not letting me log in. I uninstalled/reinstalled and still not taking. login working via web. in reply to bthdonohue 2013-12-16
- RT @markleggett: Will Ferrell will be attending Peter O'Toole's funeral as Ron Burgundy. 2013-12-16
- Is @instapaper down? Can't log on and couldn't save articles earlier. 2013-12-16
- This Week's Tweets – http://t.co/Rq2iL48cuL #Social #Twitter #WeeklyTweets via http://t.co/63vK4tEbRe 2013-12-13
- RT @LoudHouseFS: Syracuse has only four players in the NBA. Are your surprised? Read complete analysis of each one. http://t.co/90TkQ0dRsK… 2013-12-12
- I like Loom. Honestly, I need more disc space. If u need a simple photo sharing service & use iOS, try Loom – https://t.co/UJFXeVQwwD 2013-12-12
- Syracuse Hoops Players In The NBA – http://t.co/9uKCIcGr3U via http://t.co/63vK4tEbRe 2013-12-12
- David Simon: 'There are now two Americas. My country is a horror show http://t.co/dr7UCa5wTe via http://t.co/ywxo01UWmK 2013-12-09
- Netflix Has a Plan to Rewire our Entire Culture http://t.co/9VeW0uBd5q via @instapaper 2013-12-08
- Sweet!!! @MikeNapoli25: The beard is coming back to Boston!!! Couldn't be happier!! #Bstrong #beards #Ilovethiscity http://t.co/mHqTnRGNkk in reply to MikeNapoli25 2013-12-06
- RT @samir: one paragraph that explains why blackberry died http://t.co/swLnMku7qI http://t.co/tk2k8uCWkh 2013-12-06
- This Week's Tweets – http://t.co/izPmuurIr2 #Social #Twitter #WeeklyTweets via http://t.co/63vK4tEbRe 2013-12-06
NOTE: I have started to contribute posts and articles to the Syracuse fan site Inside the Loudhouse. My first article published today and is titled “Syracuse Orange Hoopsters In the NBA“. An excerpt from it is below.
Through all the years that Jim Boeheim has been coaching men’s basketball at Syracuse University, he has never had a problem attracting basketball talent to the program. Many ‘talking heads’ have said that Boeheim has not done enough with the talent that has come through the program, but that is a discussion for another day. When a program like Syracuse attracts such basketball talent, the inevitable question becomes how many of it’s players make it to ‘The Show’ (aka: the NBA) and how well prepared are those players for all the demands at the professional level?…
- And Now For Something Completely The Same – http://t.co/7ARwA31DE9 #British #Comedy #MontyPython #Reunion via http://t.co/63vK4tEbRe 2013-11-19
- The Reign Of Morons Is Here http://t.co/ydkzVPPxRM via @instapaper 2013-11-17
- I think Matt Foley and Toronto Mayor Rob Ford are long lost brothers….Down By The River @hulu http://t.co/gp6agMe4N1 2013-11-15
- This Week's Tweets – http://t.co/d2hKdGwc57 #Social #Twitter #WeeklyTweets via http://t.co/63vK4tEbRe 2013-11-15
Saw this bit in the NY Times today about how the remaining members of Monty Python are planning a reunion tour of some sort. Seems it has been in some form of discussion for a few months now.
While I think this is interesting news, something tells me it won’t be nearly as funny as the originals when they were much much younger.
But it’s not about the art. It’s about the money.
You will not find a bigger Python fan than yours truly. However, I am skeptical that revisiting their classic bits as ~70 year old men will enhance their legacy. How will they be able to top the comic timing of The Dead Parrot Sketch, Ministry of Silly Walks, Spam Spam Spam Eggs and Spam, and numerous others? And not to mention their masterpiece Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail.
I hope they prove me wrong. I really believe that comedy and movies from folks like Python should be left to let live based on the brilliance of their original work. Because as time goes by, you may see something in everyday life that reminds you of one of their skits (Like when you meet a person named Arthur Wilson. Or you see a postcard with Mount Kilimanjaro on it. Or you see a can of Spam.) and all you can do is smile.
I love projects like this. A very cool exploration of logo design titled “Football As Football“, where some designers have styled several NFL logos as if they were European Football (soccer) clubs. A few for your viewing pleasure:
New England Patriots
Yes, they even did a really nice job with the logo of the NY Jets
Once again, the rumor that legendary comic Andy Kaufman is still alive is gaining steam almost 30 years after his ‘death’. I put ‘death’ in quotes because for these 30 years, it is exceedingly obvious that no one really knows the truth about if he actually died or if he faked his death.
For those of you unfamiliar, Kaufman was a comic who in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s took the world by storm with his innovative and irreverent acts, performance art, and elaborate pranks. Watch these videos here, here and here to get a taste of his act. Oh, and he also starred on one of the most popular sitcoms of the 1980’s, Taxi.
So this week at the 9th Annual Andy Kaufman Awards ceremony, which honors up and coming comics, the rumor of his faked death was re-invigorated yet again:
During the closing ceremony, Kaufman’s brother Michael took the stage during the closing ceremonies to once again address the rumors that his brother had not passed away from lung cancer in 1984, but was actually alive, and living in obscurity.
Michael shared a story of finding his brother’s elaborate plans to fake his own death after Andy had passed on, along with a note that he would reappear on Christmas Eve 1999 at his favorite restaurant. Michael went to the restaurant, and though Andy never showed, a letter was handed to him that explained that Andy had gone into hiding to live a normal life and now had a wife and daughter—but didn’t want anyone to find out while the Kaufmans’ father Stanley was still alive.
Stanley, who established the Andy Kaufman Awards nine years ago to recognize upcoming talent in the spirit of Andy (previous winners include Kristen Schaal and Reggie Watts), passed away this summer. According to Michael, a month afterwards, a 24-year old woman came forward to him, claiming that Andy had not died 29 years prior, was still very much alive, and quite grateful that the awards recognized young people who had been inspired by his work. The young woman, who was never named, came to the stage, though McCarthy doesn’t report her sharing any sort of story.
To paraphrase Verbal Kint, “The greatest trick Andy Kaufman ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist.”
- Anyone have a ticket for tomorrow night's game? :P http://t.co/FoCZfTQ4Rp via @espnboston 2013-10-29
- RT @BillSimmons: I'd like to thank the 2013 A.L. All-Stars from the All-Star Game I didn't watch for giving the Sox a chance to clinch at h… 2013-10-28
- RT @shaun_m_kelly: @SurvivingGrady Who'da thunk it? Now John Lackey goes on Wednesday night for the ultimate tale of redemption…get Bob … 2013-10-28
- One to go. #redsox 2013-10-28
- Good morning. Good afternoon. Good night. #Koji #redsox 2013-10-28
- @redsox are hitting .188 in the series and .225 for the postseason. Not a winning formula. 2013-10-27
- Megatron with a mega-day. 329 yds, 2 TDs 2013-10-27
- RT @CKlosterman: Lou Reed just died: http://t.co/LsrdedxNVp 2013-10-27
- This Week's Tweets – http://t.co/77S037hRO7 #Social #Twitter #WeeklyTweets via http://t.co/63vK4tEbRe 2013-10-25
- It Just Works – http://t.co/ofTBziEYhH #Android #Apple #Mobile #Phones via http://t.co/63vK4tEbRe 2013-10-23
- Not a bad start by the @RedSox :). 2013-10-23
- Cool aerial shots of some old Baseball Cathedrals, From on High, via @nytimes http://t.co/ZfvrC8ut0K 2013-10-18
- Bartman and Boone – http://t.co/P6aL0KPyWy #Cubs #Curses #Drought #Playoffs #RedSox #WorldSeries via http://t.co/63vK4tEbRe 2013-10-18
- This Week's Tweets – http://t.co/UrxoCAPKhR #Social #Twitter #WeeklyTweets via http://t.co/63vK4tEbRe 2013-10-18
- RT @nprguyraz: this is just such a better name (and logo) than the Washington Red@*%s http://t.co/KdUf6SzALD 2013-10-18