- Still Bringing The Heat – https://t.co/7m9kpqfEge via https://t.co/vUsSrohLrI #Comedy #Funny #GeneWilder https://t.co/lJEtWOaTou 2017-05-23
- Wow. Next logical step is to see if there is a connection with this and Trump/campaign. https://t.co/c6Te6x25nu 2017-05-25
- RT @starwars: And many more. #StarWars40th https://t.co/H5GKgwIpOB 2017-05-25
- My collection of @starwars desktop backgrounds for the 40th anniversary of the movie’s release. #starwars40th https://t.co/q4KXcqv5lH 2017-05-25
- RT @davewiner: Walt Mossberg’s last column. https://t.co/bHeAwOf7bo 2017-05-25
- RT @SteveKopack: Did Trump just shove another NATO leader to be in the front of the group? https://t.co/bL1r2auELd 2017-05-25
- “Star Wars” 40th anniversary: The $11 million it took to make Star Wars in 1977 was the best money ever spent https://t.co/0TrHB4tPwH 2017-05-25
- RT @SInow: The best of Frank Deford https://t.co/mIQUiLVMpn https://t.co/oiaK7sMsos 2017-05-29
This past Sunday, I went to NJPAC (New Jersey Performing Arts Center) to see a screening of Young Frankenstein, followed by a ‘conversation’ with Mel Brooks himself…all of 90 years young.
Watching the movie in a theater the size of NJPAC was fantastic. I’ve only watched Young Frankenstein (more times than I can count) at home on TV, so listening to an audience laughing and reacting to the movie was a unique experience. It made me appreciate even more the subltle nuances of Gene Wilder’s reactions, and the classic facial expressions of Cloris Leachman and Marty Feldman. You just don’t get that from watching the movie in your living room.
But the real joy came during the conversation with Mel Brooks after the show, where he shared stories and memories of filming Young Frankenstein: how Marty Feldman kept on switching the shoulder of Igor’s hump until someone on the set noticed, upon which Mel thought it funny enough to write it into the script; how in the grave digging scene, an off the cuff quip from Feldman (again) led to him writing in the downpour of rain as being the only thing that could make digging up a grave worse.
Near the end of the conversation, the host read some questions that the audience got to submit for Mel to answer and there were two interactions that illustrated how quick and brilliantly funny Mel Brooks still is:
The Underwear Question
Audience Question: Mel, boxers or briefs?
Mel (without missing a beat): I’m going to give you an honest answer. Depends.
Brought down the house.
Don’t Kiss And Tell Question
Initial Audience Question: Katie asks if you would consider marrying her?
Mel: I’ll think about it. I’ll definitely think about it
Next Audience Question: Jennifer says that she is a huge fan and was wondering if she could give you a kiss?
Mel (again, without missing a beat): Oh, I’m sorry Jennifer, I’m engaged to Katie now and I don’t think that would be appropriate.
Brings down the house again.
Of course, the most popular questions were: When are “Spaceballs II” and “History of the World, Part 2” coming out?
- RT @BillSimmons: 1973
- RT @rembert: Current ranking of important professions in USA:
1. Bartender 2017-05-09
- Nixon Forces Firing of Cox; Richardson, Ruckelshaus Quit https://t.co/Rcy29PRAPd via @nuzzel 2017-05-09
- â€œHome, James â€” 10 Quick Thoughts About the Comey Firingâ€ by @davepell https://t.co/C8BeX7QgEo 2017-05-10
- You just can't make this up. #followthemoney https://t.co/y655pENBjf 2017-05-10
- @DanGartland 2nd time @RogerClark41 has done that https://t.co/4yNEXsjppY Reporter nails half-court shot https://t.co/YMI17WPZyK 2017-05-12
- @katie_barnes3 he did the same thing with the Globetrotters last year. See link below. That's the story. https://t.co/4utwy92Zw3 2017-05-12
- https://t.co/RCAHmtLmgZ https://t.co/NMnWyS7qdT 2017-04-27
- Afternoon at the office. LGM…I guess. ðŸ˜œ https://t.co/UWnVrOYpUp https://t.co/eHfrF3IeLk 2017-04-27
- @NY_Comic_Con Page crashed at final confirmation and now system saying my email is already associated with tix when trying to buy. HELP!!!! 2017-04-29
- https://t.co/pewCoekHIU https://t.co/fc31zyvGQg 2017-04-29
- https://t.co/Ooy1ZVaUPo https://t.co/5k2Wa0RkpD 2017-04-29
- https://t.co/nHpg9wfbhY https://t.co/8Qg5WDSoZi 2017-04-29
- You can pick up the M42 cross town or go to Portland, ME https://t.co/6ZMQ1D5vBS https://t.co/ePKimYJmuY 2017-04-29