This week, we replaced the 1970′s style white tiles in the main hallway with hardwood flooring,. So now, the hardwood floor flows seamlessly from the main hallway into the TV room. We do still need to put in baseboards and just clean up the hall walls, as they are a mess with all the work done this past weekend. Replacing the tiles is something we’ve wanted to do since we moved in, and based on the difficulty in removing the said tiles, we probably should have done this before we moved in. Ah, hindsight. If you ever see a house that you like, and it has some ugly tiles that need to be removed, remove them before you move in. Trust me.
We recently had the floors sanded in the main living room, the dining room, and in the upstairs hallway. We also had the rancid carpet in the TV room removed and replaced with hardwood floors. With that work done, I was able to finally install the basboards in these rooms. Below are some photos of the final results (yes, we still need to put things on the walls. That seems to be a common theme throughout the house!). If you want to see the “before” and “during” photos, visit my Flickr ‘House’ tag. There are also some fun photos of the kitchen with all our stuff piled up since the rooms had to be completely cleared out to do the sanding and floor installation.
The past few weeks we have been ripping up the last remnants of the deep, deep green (that’s right, its not Forest Green, its deeper than that) carpeting that was in the upstairs hallway and the stairs. The first few photos below are what the stairs and hallway used to look like. The last few photos show what it looks like now. Underneath the carpet is nice hardwood floors that are in really good condition. We are going to have them sanded and poly’d sometime over the next few weeks which will really look pretty nice. Then I can put the baseboards on the hall walls and that will be done. Also need to paint the fine ornate “should be outside but its inside” handrailing.
We are in the process of painting the upstairs hallway so we thought it would be interesting to share a before and after of the upstairs hallway. In the newer photo of the hallway, the walls are just primed. We are hoping to get the walls painted over the next week or so.
Today, we had our new interior doors delivered to the house. We have a contractor coming to the house tomorrow to help dismantle the existing doors and hopefully install the new doors if we have the time. The goal is to get all the upstairs doors installed. We can do the first floor doors later in the weekend or during the week. And I still need to finish removing the wallpaper from Ian’s room!!
Today, in our first full day of home ownership, we spent the morning at a local hardware supplier in Jamesberg, and at Lowes picking up supplies and miscellaneous stuff. We purchased what we thought were solar powered lights for the front walkway at Lowes, however when we returned home, we found out that they need to be plugged in, which sort of defeats the purpose of having them be solar.
Once we returned to the house, Steve spent the majority of the afternoon taking wallpaper borders off the walls of Rebecca and Ian’s rooms. The wallpaper in Rebecca’s room came off the walls fairly easily, however the wallpaper in Ian’s room has proven quite a challenge.
To close out the day, we had a prospective painter give us an estimate for him to paint a few rooms. Then, another contractor stopped by to give us an estimate on the vanity for the kids’ bathroom and to re-do the whole bathroom. Overall, a pretty productive first day!!